Get to know me abit more...

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Discovering the past


Dear,

If you had to work on a Thesis project for your last year in Art School, what would you do? I wanted to make it meaningful so I decided to do my project based on my grandpa to honor him. During my research process, I found out a lot about his past, stories that I never knew, letters I never read, photos I never saw, clothes he wore, his belongings: calculator, name seal, CDs etc. While discovering all these precious pieces, I realized how little I knew about him and how much I wish I had asked him when he was still alive... He passed away in April this year and it was the most shocking experience I had in my life. I've never experience or knew the feeling when someone close passing away, but now I know. For a long while, my feelings became very numb and I couldn't cry. I was stuck. I was so glad that I was on my gap year so that I could be there for him but I still feel sad because of how little I knew about him. I never asked about his past, I don't know why, maybe because he is my grandfather and I needed to respect or... I don't know what was preventing me from asking all this time honestly. I could have done so much better but I am here now and this project is the last thing I can do for him and my family. 

Photo by Rex Ig: ry.38 | Wearing mum's Desigual dress 

Life is unpredictable, it can be short, it can be long to some people and you can never control when death is coming upon you. So treasure the ones you love and don't love because who knows what will happen tomorrow or the day after. Start being curious about people around you because everyone has a unique past and interesting stories to tell. 

Best,
Katrina
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment